Sensitive and provocative issues related to sexuality can create challenges for professionals and paraprofessionals in health care and education. I can help you and your staff work more comfortably and effectively interact with patients, students, and other constituents with diverse sexual identities, interests, concerns and needs.
I welcome referrals for private sexuality education consultations that free you to focus on your area of expertise and maximize the limited time you have to spend addressing sexuality concerns.
Choose a topic from the list below:
- Professional Overview
The following are a small sample of training topics available:
- What and When Patients Need to Know about Sexuality
- Sexual Identities 101: Understanding Sex, Gender and Orientation
- Sexuality Through the Lifespan
- Creating a Welcoming Work or Learning Environment
“Melanie Davis’ workshop, “Taking the Pain out of Talking about Sex” was a fun and educational exercise that helped us open up the discussion of sex…The experience has made a lasting impression on how I will see and treat my patients.” -Gladston Hackett, 2nd year medical student, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Physicians know that sexuality questions and concerns usually take more than a quick exam-room or office visit to address. And they may require more specialized information or resources than you have at your disposal. In these instances, you can refer teens, individual adults, and couples to me for a private sexuality education consultation. You will remain your patients’ primary care provider.
I see clients in the New Jersey Center for Sexual Wellness in Bedminster, New Jersey. The office is wheelchair accessible with friendly medical office reception staff. My partners in the practice include an ob/gyn certified in sexual medicine and menopause management, and a certified sex therapist. We are affiliated with a urologist, pelvic floor therapists, and a medical doctor with expertise in acupuncture.
If your patients or clients are outside Central New Jersey, I can consult with them by phone or Skype. Please learn more with this FAQ on these consultations.
Innovative and engaging programs can enhance your reputation as a source for accurate health information. Together, we can tailor a program to suit your patients’ and constituents’ most-common concerns. Depending on the tone you wish to set, programs can be formal lectures, interactive workshops, or fun and casual dialogue. Topics include, but are not limited to:
- Ask Dr. Melanie (Q & A for Teens, Adults)
- Parents as Sexuality Educators
- Grandparents as Sexuality Educators
- Sex & Aging: Coping with Changes (Adults)
- Sexual Communication & Decision-Making (Teens, Adults, Couples)
- Understanding Sexual Boundaries and Consent (Teens, Young Adults)
- Patient education brochures for your office, like Taking the Mystery Out of Female Orgasm
- Free resources — articles and links for healthcare providers, educators, and consumers